14 Jul What Are the Effective Ways to Discipline Your Child
What’s the best way to discipline a child? It is supposed to be one of the most asked questions of parents. Several discipline strategies will help you teach your child to manage their behaviour and keep them from harm while cultivating healthy development.
Doaba Public School Dohlron, one of the best schools in Dohlron is here you guide you with some healthy and effective discipline tips by age and stage.
An Age-by-Age Guide to Discipline Your Child:
- Infants: You can start teaching your child discipline from a very early age simply by setting an example of behaviour you expect from them. It is because babies learn by watching what you do. So, make sure you use positive language to guide your baby by saving the word “no” for the most important issues.
- Toddlers: This is the right age for your child when you can teach them what is allowed and what is not. Now your baby needs more of your attention. So it is recommended to praise the behaviours you like and ignore those you want to discourage. This is the time to teach your child not to hit, bite or do any violent behaviour. Stay consistent in enforcing limits and you can also try short time-outs if needed.
- Preschool Age: This is the age when your child still tries to understand how and why things work and learn appropriate behaviour. So, now you can give simple step-by-step directions to your child, teach your child to treat others as he/she wants to be treated, teach them how to deal with anger, etc. You can start allowing your child to make choices.
- Gradeschool Age Children: Now, your child is growing maturity to get a sense of what is right and what is not. Now, you need to be more on talking to your child about their choices, and opinions, listen to them carefully and provide a balance of privileges and responsibility. But, never miss any scope to teach and model patience, concern, and respect for others.
- Adolescents: As your child develops, now you need to balance your unconditional love and support with clear expectations, rules, and restrictions. But never make them feel detached from them, rather get more involved to know their friends, and talk frankly about their wishes and desires.
Most importantly, children of all ages need to know you love them, every day and even when they have done something wrong as suggested by Doaba Public School Dohlron, the top school in Dohlron.